Monday, February 19, 2018

Monday Reviews: Cruel Prince by Holly Black





Highly anticipated January release from a popular YA fantasy author.
I have to say despite desperately wanting this book for its cover alone, the story is even better! It is unlike any plot I could ever imagine.
It is that good!





Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Published January 2nd 2018 by Little, Brown Books
Genres: Fantasy, Magic, Fairies, Romance, Paranormal, Young Adult
Page: 384 pages
Rating: 5
of 5 stars
Review by: Tina




Synopsis


I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.
 
And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.


Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy the odds and work at being better than all the fey.


Review

To start off, I wasn't prepared for how quickly the story transitioned from childhood to young adult. All the events that played in Jude's young life unraveled beautifully.

Stolen out of the human world to be raised by a Fae general, Jude is forced to adapt and find her place in the Fae world. Humans are lowly mistreated creatures and Jude will never be one of them but she can always best them, be better than them.

One after another, Jude's dreams are crushed but she continues to hold her head high. Somehow she finds herself playing in a game of political war. From her daily battles with her school bullies to outwitting her foster father, Jude never has a moment of peace. She must prevail, she must outsmart all; she must grow up fast. 



Thoughts

The fae world is indeed a land of misleads and betrayals. Loved the masterful way of blossoming this story into a complicated world of intrigue and mistrusts; oh the scheming. The last page has me gasping for more. And I combed through Holly Black's pages searching for signs of the next book. Sigh, I need more... 

 
 









2 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVED this book! That ending amazing. I read it twice, because the first time I was speed reading, and I needed to go back and slowly absorb all the epic-ness.

    ReplyDelete