Monday, December 26, 2016

Tina Reviews: This Savage Song


This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
Published July 5th 2016 by Greenwillow Books
Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal, Young Adult
Page: 427
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Review by: Tina
 

Synopsis

There’s no such thing as safe.

Kate Harker wants to be as ruthless as her father. After five years and six boarding schools, she’s finally going home to prove that she can be.

August Flynn wants to be human. But he isn’t. He’s a monster, one that can steal souls with a song. He’s one of the three most powerful monsters in a city overrun with them. His own father’s secret weapon.

Their city is divided. Their city is crumbling.

Kate and August are the only two who see both sides, the only two who could do something. Who is hero or a villain in this story?




Review

What a fantastic book! I'm completely obsessed with it.

The story begins with a girl setting her school "chapel" on fire. It wasn't out of spite or rebellion, it was to capture her father's attention, whom she hasn't seen in five years, and she wants to come home.

The second perspective is from a Sunai boy, one born out of violence and neglect, one who loves music.

I love reading the two perspectives. At first, I thought the story may be a Human versus Monster scenario. As the plots are laid out, I slowly begin to see how the story is forming. I found the Sunai siblings fascinating. Their dynamic vaguely reminds me of Ender's Game siblings - the parents' over-protectiveness of the youngest child, the sweet caring older sister, the Alpha male older brother. I also enjoy the friendship of Kate and August. It was such an unlikely possibility but they stood apart from the general public. Both coming from status and power and both outsiders because of that.
T

he story is fast paced and I fell into its world completely. First VE Schwab book and I'm in love! And I will admit, it had me at "monsters".



No comments:

Post a Comment