Monday, June 13, 2016

Shon Review: Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes

Title / Author:  Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes

Published: May 17, 2016 by HarperTeen
Page: 379

Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult & Romance
Source: Tina's Uppercase Box (YA book-of-the-month subscription)
Rating: 5 stars


Synopsis

Maguire is bad luck.

No matter how many charms she buys off the internet or good luck rituals she performs each morning, horrible things happen when Maguire is around. Like that time the roller coaster jumped off its tracks. Or the time the house next door caught on fire. Or that time her brother, father, and uncle were all killed in a car crash—and Maguire walked away with barely a scratch.

It’s safest for Maguire to hide out in her room, where she can cause less damage and avoid new people who she could hurt. But then she meets Jordy, an aspiring tennis star. Jordy is confident, talented, and lucky, and he’s convinced he can help Maguire break her unlucky streak. Maguire knows that the best thing she can do for Jordy is to stay away. But it turns out staying away may be harder than she thought.






My Thoughts...


This was my first time reading a book by Paula Stokes but if all her books are as beautiful written as Girl Against The Universe then this will not be my last book.

I am not a big fan of contemporary novel I always feel that they start off strong and then they fizzle out towards the end but with Girl Against the Universe that was not so.

I obviously don't read a lot of contemporary so I don't come across mental illness as issue in my reading but the way the author handle the topic of mental illness was written so beautifully.

I love reading a book with the strong family background because I have a big family and I know if I need help, however big or small, I know that there is always someone there to help me. I love seeing Maguire interact with her family. Because of the tragic in her past it took her a while to open up to them. One of my favorite scene in the story is when she finally does open up to her stepfather.

Another thing that I enjoy about the book was the romance in the story and I like how it was written. It was so cute to witness Maguire and Jordy falling in love while trying to figure out who they are as a person.

GIRL AGAINST THE UNIVERSE is a simply amazing, fun book to read with just the right amount humor to deal with the heavy topic of mental illness and dealing with loss. I would highly recommend this book. If you are a fan of contemporary novel read this book! If you do not like contemporary novel read thi
s book!

No comments:

Post a Comment