Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo








Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Published 2012 by Henry Holt and Co.
Genres: High Fantasy, Paranormal, Magic, Dystopia, Romance, Adventure, Young Adult
Page: 240
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Review by: Tina



Synopsis

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured. Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life.


Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha... and the secrets of her heart.




Review

I started this book with both high hopes and weary anticipation. I want excitement. I want world building. I want to read something with both heart and full of action.



The story starts with two orphan children who only has each other and they grow into adulthood. A world of mystery and darkness lies before them. On one of their missions, they were attacked. The girl saves the boy and discovers she carries a dormant power that is envied and could save their world.


Immediately, she is scurried away into the Grisha World where her skills are cultivated and her social status elevates. Under the protection of the Darkling, the most powerful magical elite, she becomes his weapon.


Thoughts: The book was getting really good until an unexpected romance hit. I did a double take. I was left confused. I read and re-read. There was such a large age difference! …Shortly after, it began to make sense. And the true romance was so pure and good, I was giddy with envy and warm feelings.


Characters: I really enjoy the characters! They are strong and well developed. Any one of the minor characters can come out in a side novella and I will greedily read it.



Quote: Fine, he said with a weary shrug. Make me your villain. –Chapter 21. Yessss!! I finally found the famous quote.





No comments:

Post a Comment